Thursday, October 18, 2012

Welcome

So, here we go: My first blog. It's about my impressions, insights and adventures in Zambia and Uganda. I am here to do the field work for my PhD project on the role of civil society in democratization processes in Sub-Saharan Africa. From the beginning of October 2012 until Christmas I will mainly stay in Lusaka/Zambia and be working for the Foundation for Democratic Process (FODEP - see link on the right side). With them I have made a deal - I am going to volunteer for them for a couple of hours per week (now working on a report on the Zambian NGO Act) and in exchange I get a desk, a computer, internet and contacts to my interview partners. From January to March 2013, I will stay in Kampala/Uganda. (More on that stay later - when I actually am able to say a little more about it.)

It's my first time in Africa. In describing my experiences here, I will quite certainly do frequent and inappropriate comparisons with Eastern Europe. This is because I have mainly worked on civil society development in Eastern, especially South Eastern Europe, before "switching continents" for my PhD research (see link to my academia profile on the right for some of my past research).

Why "30°C in November"? Well, that's the one thing the two places I am staying at in Africa certainly have in common. It's hot in November. And it's the most obvious difference to the places I call home, that is Mainz and Berlin in Germany. About the rest of the commonalities and differences between these three countries I am yet not sure. But I am here to find out. (Yeah, alright, I also hope the title makes people at home a little envious.)

There will be some anecdotes to tell (hopefully), but this is not going to be a travel blog that focuses on the funny moments of my stay. I'm probably generally not the guy for this. When I am putting something in writing, it's more likely to turn into an essay than a joke. But even more important, I am here to work and do research and this is certainly influencing the way I am looking at things here in general. And the style is most probably a little less personal than a travel blog. All in all: less "haha" and hopefully more "aha". That being said, I still hope you enjoy reading it, even if you are not interested in my research. So long.

Wolf

No comments:

Post a Comment